Saturday, February 13, 2010

It's the End of the World as We Know It

This city is finally beginning to thaw out after the wonderful Snowpocalypse that we were subjugated to earlier this week. In my journeys I have actually found piles of snow over my head. Over my head. Think about that for a second.

Washington seriously freaked out with all this snow. Leading up to it, I wasn't able to buy groceries because of the droves of people flooding Target. I then couldn't leave my apartment for about 5 days, mostly because everything was closed and there was nowhere to go. But, like I said, it's starting to get better; I was actually able to go to work yesterday for a change.

Speaking of which, my internships are going well. I've gotten to spend most of the past two weeks delivering petitions to Congressmen; I carried a stack of over 36,000 sheets of paper to Diane Feinstein's office alone. We got over 200,000 signatures in less than a week on a petition urging Congress to pass the Fair Election Now Act (Common Cause's baby) in response to the Supreme Court's Citizens United case.

Aside from petition deliveries, I've made folders, stuffed envelopes, and done other stereotypical intern stuff. I'm enjoying it, however. Even though they're a liberal group, I don't completely disagree with everything they do, plus everyone is really nice.

I do, however, find myself desperately missing Mississippi. Getting away has proven to me how much I love it. I miss the people, the towns, the not having to walk everywhere. I can't wait until April when finally get to go back.

So there you have the last few weeks in a nutshell. Nothing terribly exciting, besides being held hostage by snow. But as soon as something exciting does happen, I'll let you know.

0 comments:

Post a Comment